You won't be able to take your eyes off these Eye of Newt Truffles! These eye-catching Halloween candies are made from chocolate truffles, decorated with candy eyeballs and orange and purple jimmies. They're easy to make but really bright, colorful, and fun!
- 12 oz (about 2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 oz heavy cream
- 1 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 lb chocolate candy coating
- Candy eyeballs (I used Wilton brand)
- 1 cup each, orange and purple jimmies
Preparation1. Place the chopped chocolate in a medium bowl. Pour the heavy cream, corn syrup, and salt into a small saucepan and place the pan over medium heat. Bring the cream to a simmer, and once small bubbles appear all along the sides of the pan, pour it over the chopped chocolate in the bowl.
2. Let the hot cream soften the chocolate for one minute, then gently whisk them together, until all of the chocolate is melted and your ganache is smooth and shiny.
4. Cover a baking sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper. Use a candy scoop or spoon to form the ganache into 1-inch balls. Dust your hands with a light layer of cocoa powder and roll the balls between your palms to get them round. If you have the time, let the truffles sit at cool room temperature overnight to dry and set the ganache—this will help them form a protective skin and make them easier to dip. If you don't have time, refrigerate the tray for 45-60 minutes until the truffles are very firm.
5. Melt the chocolate candy coating in a large bowl in the microwave, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Heat and stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Have the candy eyeballs handy, and place the orange and purple jimmies in separate bowls nearby.
7. Press an assortment of candy eyeballs onto the chocolate truffles. Flip the truffle off of the fork into the bowl of sprinkles, and gently toss it in the sprinkles until it is entirely covered. Let it sit there for a few minutes, firming up, while you dip and decorate another truffle. After a few moments, transfer the finished truffle to the baking sheet and repeat until all of the truffles are dipped and decorated.
8. Store Eye of Newt Truffles in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. For the best taste and texture, bring to room temperature before serving.