Sunday 1 April 2012

Creme Eggs

When I die, I want my tombstone to say "Here Lies Elizabeth--She Never Met A Candy She Didn't Want to Copy." Obviously I want it to say other nice things, too, but that little blurb really sums up my life philosophy. If I can buy it in a store, I want to see if I can make a better version at home.

I've been toying with the idea of re-creating the famous Cadbury Easter egg for a few years, and I finally tackled it this year. I've had a recipe for "Fondant Eggs" on my site for awhile, and they were pretty good. They were suitably egg-shaped and had the obligatory egg white/yolk thing going on, but the major problem was that they never really liquefied. And as we all know, an egg is not a Cadbury egg until it has the gooey frosting center. So I put on my Mad Scientist Cap, turned to my good friend invertase, and Creme Eggs were born!

This candy starts out as a soft fondant, which allows you to mold the yolks and whites, and dip the eggs without any trouble. After they're dipped comes the hard part--the waiting! Invertase, the secret weapon, gradually liquefies the sugar in the fondant, turning the solid candy into a semi-solid goo that's oh-so-slurpable. If you can't find invertase, or don't want to wait for the liquefying process, the eggs are still a tasty, beautiful Easter treat.

Get the recipe: Creme Eggs


Get my Weekly Newsletter | Connect on Facebook | Find me on Twitter.

Creme Eggs Photo c2012 Elizabeth LaBau, licensed to About.com, Inc.


View the original article here

0 意見 :

Post a Comment

 

Candy Recipes Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design