Sunday 19 February 2012

Vegan Chocolate Coconut Truffles

Here is the truth: I respect and admire many aspects of the vegan lifestyle and diet, but for years I have resisted the thought of attempting vegan candies and desserts. It would be much, much easier for me to give up animal products in my regular diet than to stop using them in my pastry and candy creations. I held firm to the belief that there are just no substitutes for the rich, mellow taste of butter, or the heft and body of heavy cream, or the volume and stability that comes from whipped egg whites. In short, I was a vegan baking skeptic.

However, in this new year, I've decided to become a bit more adventurous, and I've started experimenting with different ingredients, healthy substitutions, and...hold on to your hats...vegan recipes! One of the first things I tried was substituting coconut milk for cream in a truffle recipe. Holy smokes, it works! The fat from the coconut milk products rich, silky truffles that are every bit as luscious as their dairy cream counterparts. The coconut milk also gives the truffles a subtle fruity flavor that is lovely on its own, but also reserved enough to make this a good "base" recipe for other flavored vegan truffles. So if you're ready to be adventurous too, or if you just love the taste of coconut and chocolate together (and who could not?) try this Vegan Chocolate Coconut Truffles recipe.


Get my Weekly Newsletter | Find me on Twitter.

Vegan Chocolate Coconut Truffles Photo c2011 Elizabeth LaBau, licensed to About.com, Inc.


View the original article here

0 意見 :

Post a Comment

 

Candy Recipes Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design