(c) 2011 Elizabeth LaBau, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Sweet meets salty in this recipe for Chocolate-Covered Bacon. If you've never tried bacon and chocolate together, you might be surprised at how well rich, semi-sweet chocolate complements the smoky flavor of crispy bacon. I like to top mine with a few sprinkles of flaked sea salt, but you can use toasted nuts or any other toppings of your choice.
Cook Time: 10?minutes
Total Time: 10?minutes
Yield: 12 pcs chocolate-covered bacon
- 12 strips good-quality bacon
- 1 lb chocolate or chocolate candy coating
- Flaked sea salt, chopped nuts, or other toppings of your choice
1. Prepare the bacon according to the package directions, either on the stovetop or in the oven. Make sure you cook the bacon until it is crispy.
2. Once the bacon is cooked, drain the fat and let it cool, then pat both sides with a paper towel of the bacon to remove any lingering fat on the surface.
3. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. If you are using chocolate candy coating, simply melting it is fine. If you are using real chocolate, I recommend tempering it by following these directions, so that it remains shiny and hard at room temperature.
4. Holding a strip of bacon at the top, carefully dip most of it into the melted chocolate. I prefer to keep about an inch of bacon uncovered, so that is easier to eat (and easier for other people to identify what they are eating!) but you can always use a fork to dip the bacon completely in the chocolate if you want it entirely covered up. If you have trouble dipping the bacon, use a spoon to pour the melted chocolate over the bacon until both sides are covered to your liking.
5. Lay the chocolate-dipped bacon on a tray or plate covered with waxed paper. While the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle the top with flaked sea salt, chopped toasted nuts, or any other toppings you'd like. Repeat until all of the bacon is covered with chocolate.
6. Refrigerate the tray to set the chocolate, for about 15 minutes. Once set, let the bacon come to room temperature, and it's ready to eat! Store Chocolate-Dipped Bacon in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Variation: To add an extra flavor boost, candy your bacon first using these instructions for Candied Bacon, and then proceed to dip them in chocolate!