(c) 2010 Elizabeth LaBau, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Chocolate Nutella Hearts are soft and creamy chocolate-hazelnut candies. Their heart shape makes them perfect for Valentine’s Day or any other special occasion. If you can’t find Nutella, you can substitute peanut butter or another nut butter in this recipe.
- 1 tub (16 oz) chocolate frosting
- 1 cup Nutella or other chocolate-hazelnut spread
- 2-1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 lb chocolate-flavored candy coating
- Sprinkles or other decorations, as desired
1. Place the chocolate frosting and the Nutella in the bowl of a large stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until combined.
2. Stop the mixer and add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder, then turn the mixer to low. Mix until the dry ingredients are completely incorporated, stopping periodically to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
3. After mixing you should have a candy that is soft enough to shape, but firm enough to hold its body--similar in texture to Play-Doh. If it seems too soft, you can add additional powdered sugar, if it is too stiff, you can knead in an extra spoonful or two of Nutella.
4. If you don’t have a small heart cookie cutter, you can form the hearts by hand, although this method is more time-consuming. If you do have a small cookie cutter, roll the candy out between two sheets of waxed paper until it is about 1/2-inch thick or a little thicker.
5. Use the cutter to cut out as many small hearts as you can fit. You can knead the candy scraps back together and roll it out again to cut more hearts.
6. Once you have your hearts cut out, melt the chocolate candy coating in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring after every 45 seconds to prevent overheating. Stir until the coating is smooth and free of lumps.
7. Use a fork or dipping tools to dip a heart into the melted candy coating. Remove it from the coating and scrape the bottom against the lip of the bowl to remove excess coating. Place the dipped heart on a foil-covered baking sheet and repeat with remaining hearts and coating.
8. If desired, decorate with sprinkles while wet, or drizzle the hearts with white or red candy coating. Chocolate Nutella Hearts can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator or at cool room temperature for up to two weeks.