(c) 2011 Elizabeth LaBau, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Crispy Nutella Truffles taste just like Ferrero Rocher chocolates! A smooth Nutella filling is studded with whole toasted hazelnuts and crisp wafer cookies. A coating of chopped toasted hazelnuts and chocolate completes the truffles.
Yield: 32 small truffles
- 4.5 oz (125 g) cream-filled wafer cookies, chocolate or vanilla flavor
- 7 oz (half of a small jar) chocolate-hazelnut spread, like Nutella
- 1/2 cup whole toasted hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 12 oz chocolate candy coating
1. Place the cream-filled wafers in the bowl of a food processor and pulse it until they are coarsely chopped. They should be in small pieces, but still have some texture—stop before they turn to dust. Alternately, you can chop the wafers with a knife or put them in a plastic bag and smash them with a rolling pin.
2. Mix the wafer pieces and Nutella together in a bowl, and stir until they're well-combined. Press a layer of cling wrap on top of the mixture and refrigerate it until firm, about 2 hours.
3. Once the Nutella mixture is firm enough to scoop, use a teaspoon or a candy scoop to form small 1-inch balls. Press a whole hazelnut into the center of each chocolate, and roll them briefly between your palms to make them round.
4.Roll the balls in the chopped hazelnuts until they're coated with nuts, and roll them once more in your hands to embed the nuts in the chocolate. Refrigerate the nut-coated truffles until very firm.
5. Melt the chocolate candy coating in the microwave, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. When it is fluid and free of lumps, use forks or dipping tools to dip the nut-covered truffles in the candy coating. If you have extra chopped nuts left over from the previous step, you can sprinkle the tops of the truffles with chopped nuts while the coating is still wet.
6. Once the chocolate coating is completely set, your Crispy Nutella Truffles are ready to be enjoyed! They can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for a week, or in the refrigerator for two weeks. Crispy Nutella Truffles should be served at room temperature for the best taste and texture.