Monday 18 July 2011

Candy: Spicy Peanut Brittle

Candy
Get the latest headlines from the Candy GuideSite.
Spicy Peanut Brittle
Jul 18th 2011, 11:50

Not to be a candy heathen, but for a long time I didn't "get" peanut brittle. I know! A candy so well established that it's earned its own station in the Candy Land game! Believe me, I tried to like it. And I didn't exactly hate peanut brittle, but I didn't see what was so special about some nuts in a bland, often sticky, very sweet brittle. It took a lot of selfless taste-testing on my part before I finally found some recipes that I liked. Once I found some winners, it didn't take long before I realized what had been missing from the peanut brittles of my past: flavor.

Duh.

To make peanut brittle interesting, you need more than just peanuts bound together in hard sugar. First of all, you need salt. As we all know, salt makes the world go round, and every good candy has its sweetness tempered by a good dose of salt. Secondly, and this might be a matter for debate, but I prefer my brittle to have a few additional flavors. It might be a splash of vanilla extract, or a dash of cinnamon, or even, in the case of Spicy Peanut Brittle, smoky, spicy chipotle chile powder. I think that this modern touch really improves the classic candy. The resulting brittle is crunchy, nutty, sweet, spicy, and terribly addicting. This is a candy worthy of being immortalized in a board game.

Get the recipe: Spicy Peanut Brittle


Get my Weekly Newsletter | Find me on Twitter.
Spicy Peanut Brittle Photo ©2009 Elizabeth LaBau, licensed to About.com, Inc.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

0 意見 :

Post a Comment

 

Candy Recipes Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design