(c) 2010 Elizabeth LaBau, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Cream Cheese and Honey Truffles combine the tang of cream cheese and the floral sweetness of honey with rich chocolate in these easy, delicious truffle candies. You can use any honey you have on hand, but if you want to really taste it, be sure to use a strong, robust honey that can stand up to the chocolate and cream cheese flavors. This recipe yields about 30 small 1-inch truffles.
Yield: 30 small truffles
6 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
6 oz bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
1/4 cup honey
12 oz chocolate flavored candy coating (can substitute regular chocolate)
1. Chop the chocolate into small, evenly-shaped pieces and place it in a medium microwave-safe bowl along with the honey. Microwave the chocolate with the honey for 40 seconds, then stir until smooth. If the chocolate is not quite melted, microwave for another 10-20 seconds until it is completely melted and smooth.
2. Add the very soft cream cheese to the warm, melted chocolate, and stir until the cheese is incorporated and no white streaks remain. Press a piece of cling wrap on top of the chocolate mixture and refrigerate until firm enough to scoop, about 3 hours.
3. Once the chocolate mixture is firm, use a small candy scoop or a teaspoon to form it into small balls about 3/4-1 inch in diameter. Roll the balls between your palms to make them round. If they start sticking to your hands, dust your palms with a little cocoa powder to prevent them from sticking. Place the balls on a baking sheet lined with foil or waxed paper and chill them for an additional 20-30 minutes.
4. Once they truffles have finished chilling, melt the chocolate candy coating in a microwave-safe bowl, and stir until smooth and free of lumps. Use dipping tools or a fork to dip the truffles in the chocolate
. Dip one truffle into the chocolate, submerging it completely. Remove it from the chocolate and drag the bottom across the lip of the bowl to remove excess chocolate, then place it back on the foil-covered baking sheet. Repeat with remaining truffles and chocolate.
5. If desired, you can sprinkle the tops of the truffles with chopped nuts, coconut, or sprinkles, or drizzle them with another color of melted chocolate. Place the tray of truffles in the refrigerator to set the chocolate coating, for about 10 minutes.
6. For best taste and texture, serve Cream Cheese and Honey Truffles at room temperature. They can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.