Saturday 13 August 2011

Rhubarb Truffles

I think I can safely say that this is the first candy recipe I've made that uses a vegetable. Sure, I like to think I'm hip to the times, making more "modern" candies that include ingredients like bacon, basil, or orange flower water. But up until now, I have not ventured across the produce aisle to experiment with adding veggies to my candies.

For my first venture into the world of vegetable candies, I decided to start out easy, with rhubarb. If you're only familiar with rhubarb from strawberry-rhubarb pies, you may be surprised to learn that it is, in fact, a vegetable. It grows on stalks and has a similar appearance to celery, but it is often pink or red in color. Because rhubarb is naturally quite tart, it is frequently paired with sweet fruits and prepared with lots of sugar, so that the sourness is tempered and it lends a pleasant, not overwhelming, tart flavor to dishes.

These Rhubarb Truffles take advantage of rhubarb's tartness by pairing it with sweet milk chocolate. Fresh rhubarb stalks are made into a quick puree, then mixed into a rich milk chocolate ganache. The final flavor doesn't scream "rhubarb," but it does have an unmistakable tang that tingles the tastebuds in the best way. Now that I've had rhubarb success, I'm already dreaming of my next vegetable candies. Maybe something with carrot and ginger? Beet and lemon? What do you think?

Get the recipe: Rhubarb Truffles


Get my Weekly Newsletter | Find me on Twitter.

Rhubarb Truffles Photo c2011 Elizabeth LaBau, licensed to About.com, Inc.


View the original article here

0 意見 :

Post a Comment

 

Candy Recipes Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design