These homemade conversation hearts make a wonderful Valentine’s Day gift. This recipe produces candy hearts that taste just like the ones you buy at the store, but your homemade hearts can be customized with whatever drawings or messages you choose. This recipe requires an extensive drying period, so be sure to start this process 24 hours before you need the hearts.
Begin by gathering your ingredients. For this recipe, you will need:
- 1 packet (1/4 oz, or 2 tsp) unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp light corn syrup
- 2 lbs powdered sugar, plus additional for dusting
- Assorted flavoring extracts of your choice
- Assorted food colors of your choice
- Heart-shaped cutters
- Food coloring markers, such as the "Gourmet Writer" markers from AmeriColor.