(c) 2007 Elizabeth LaBau, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Tropical coconut is featured in these fragrant candy squares. The texture is similar to a stiff fudge, with the unmistakable addition of lots of sweetened shredded coconut.
Prep Time: 20?minutes
Total Time: 20?minutes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 cups shredded coconut
1. Prepare a 9x13” cake pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine the sugar, corn syrup, and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil.
3. Insert a candy thermometer and continue to boil the mixture until it reaches 240 degrees. Once at 240, add the butter and stir until the butter is melted and the mixture is homogenous.
4. Continue to boil the mixture without stirring until it reaches 260 degrees.
5. Once at 260, remove the candy from the heat and immediately stir in the salt, baking soda, and coconut—the mixture will foam up a bit. Quickly pour the candy into the prepared pan and smooth it into an even layer.
6. Allow the candy to set at room temperature for several hours, then cut it into small squares to serve. Coconut Squares can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.Try these other coconut candies: